WG Turbulence in the boundray layer
Head of the Working Group: Dr. Cedrick Ansorge
This research group is formed around the EU-funded project trainABL (“Turbulence-Resolving approaches to the intermittently turbulent atmospheric boundary layer”).
We use turbulence-resolving methods at the smallest scale in combination with observations and large-eddy simulation to eventually overcome the gap between high-resolution direct numerical simulation and the geophysical limit of high- Reynolds-number boundary layers.
Numerical Simulation of Turbulence (Direct Numerical Simulation, DNS and Large-Eddy Simulation, LES)
Stably stratified Planetary Boundary Layers (extreme stratification)
Maintenance and intermittency of turbulence in stratified conditions
Turbulent mixing parameterizations
- transitional turbulence and large-scale intermittency
- boundary layers under extreme conditions
- unification of turbulence simulation approaches
- bridging the gap between small-scale turbulence modelling, atmospheric observation and large-scale models
- direction numerical simulation
- large-eddy simulation
- scaling analysis