Information for students
News from Mar 24, 2023
We wish all students an exciting and successful start or a good return to the campus of Freie Universität!
The library is located in "House O" and can be reached via the entrance in "House G".
Opening hours of the Library / Changed opening hours from 17.04.2023 !
Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. (10 a.m. - 6 p.m., beginning April 17, 2023)
Friday the library is currently still closed
Important for the start
- Our librarian Ms. Geiges-Erzgräber has created a short presentation of the Geo.Library and presented it to the students on October 10 and 11, 2022. Here everything important for the start is explained again in summary .Link to the presentation (In German, presentation has the status of 2022).
- Your Campuscard is also your library card and your key for the lockers in front of the library.
- Tea and cookies will be available at the coffee and tea counter across from the circulation desk throughout the day, and coffee will also be available starting around 2pm. The service is privately funded by the library staff, while the FSI Geography provides the coffee. We ask you to donate a contribution of 0,70 Euro for each cup of tea or coffee taken to keep the offer going. Thank you for your support!
- Jackets and bags can be taken into the library. Alternatively, you can use the lockers in front of the library free of charge (by campus card or PIN code).
- Drinking in the library is allowed.
- You can find everything worth knowing about the library on our homepage under the menu item "Bibliothek A-Z".
- Location map of the library, Google Maps
- Merkblatt: Neu immatrikuliert – wie geht es weiter? (pdf-Datei)
- _START ins Studium: Study entry brochure
- Introduction to the Campus Management system
Learning and working
- The two large and two smaller group work rooms on the 1st floor are ideal for group work in the library. In addition, there is a soundproof work cabin for 4 people on the first floor. Three individual workstations with privacy screens are located on the first floor.
- Printing/copying/scanning in the library: see "Bibliothek A-Z".
- WLAN access for your notebook, tablet or smartphone: see "Bibliothek A-Z / WLAN".
- The library has numerous network workstations with so-called "thin clients" for reading and printing e.g. articles and for researching on the net or in Primo
- In addition, we have "normal" Windows computers on which you can work via ZEDAT login.
Lending and loan period extension
- As an FU student, you can borrow books from the "Freihandbereich" or textbooks with your campus card.
- Textbooks can be borrowed for 2 weeks, 4 extensions of 2 weeks each are possible.
- Books from the "Freihandbereich" can be borrowed for 4 weeks, 4 extensions of 4 weeks each are possible.
(Renewals can be made through the library portal Primo or by phone or mail).
Research tools of the FU Berlin
Freie Universität offers a large number of research tools (catalogs, subject databases, search engines). For the beginning we always recommend the library portal Primo, because it covers most of the search queries that come up at the beginning of your studies.