Information for new students
News from Oct 10, 2021
We wish all students an exciting and successful start or a good return to the campus of Freie Universität!
The library is located in "House O" and can be reached via the entrance in "House G".
Library opening hours
Monday - Thursday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friday the library is currently still closed
Important for the start
- Our librarian Ms. Geiges-Erzgräber has created a short introduction of the Geo.Library and presented it to the students on 08 and 11 October 2021. Everything important for the start is explained in summary. Here the PDF can be viewed again.
- FFP2 mask requirement in enclosed spaces remains in place, controls and attendance recording will no longer apply from April 2022
- The two zones "6" and "7" are suitable for group work. The two zones represent the two group work rooms, designed for currently a maximum of 4 people per room at the same time.these are booked directly in 2 hour time segments.
- Your Campuscard is also your library card and your key for the lockers in front of the library
- Jackets and bags can be taken into the library. Alternatively, you can use the lockers in front of the library free of charge (by campus card or PIN code).
- Drinking in the library is allowed
- You can find everything worth knowing about the library on our homepage under the menu item "Bibliothek A-Z".
- Location map of the library, Google Maps
- Merkblatt: Neu immatrikuliert – wie geht es weiter? (pdf-Datei)
- _START ins Studium: Study entry brochure
- Introduction to the Campus Management system
Learning and working
- For concentrated work in teams, two group study rooms are available in the library on the 1st floor.
- Printing/copying/scanning in the library: see "Bibliothek A-Z"
- WLAN access for your notebook, tablet or smartphone: see "Bibliothek A-Z / WLAN"
- The library has numerous network workstations with so-called "thin clients" for reading and printing e.g. articles and for researching on the net or in PRIMO
- In addition, we have "normal" Windows computers on which you can work via ZEDAT login.
Lending and loan period extension
- As an FU student, you can borrow books from the "Freihandbereich" or textbooks with your campus card
- Textbooks can be borrowed for 2 weeks, 4 extensions of 2 weeks each are possible.
- Books from the "Freihandbereich" can be borrowed for 4 weeks, 4 extensions of 4 weeks each are possible.
(Renewals can be made through the library portal PRIMO or by phone or mail).
Research tools of the FU Berlin
Freie Universität offers a large number of research tools (catalogs, subject databases, search engines). For the beginning we always recommend the library portal PRIMO, because it covers most of the search queries that come up at the beginning of your studies.