Information for students
News from Oct 01, 2023
Welcome to the winter term at the Geo-Campus of Freie Universität! We wish all students a successful start.
The library is located in "House O" and can be reached via the entrance in "House G".
Opening Hours of the Earth Sciences Library:
Monday to Thursday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. / Friday: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Important for the start
- Beginning October 16, tours of the library and map collection will take place every Tuesday and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. throughout the first month of the winter semester (in German only). The tours are offered without prior registration.
- Your Campuscard is also your library card and your key for the lockers in front of the library.
- The coffee and tea counter in front of the service desk offers snacks and tea throughout the day, and coffee is available starting at about 2 pm. The service is privately funded by the library staff, and the FSI Geography provides the coffee. We ask you to contribute a donation of €0.70 for each cup of tea or coffee to keep the offer going. Thank you for your support!
- Jackets and bags can be taken into the library. Alternatively, you can use the lockers in front of the library free of charge (by campus card or PIN code).
- Drinking in the library is allowed.
- You can find everything worth knowing about the library on our homepage under the menu item "Bibliothek A-Z".
- Location map of the library, Google Maps
- Merkblatt: Neu immatrikuliert – wie geht es weiter? (pdf-Datei)
- _START ins Studium: Study entry brochure
- Introduction to the Campus Management system
Learning and working
- The two large and two smaller group work rooms on the 1st floor are ideal for group work in the library. In addition, there is a soundproofed work cabin for 4 people on the first floor. Three individual workstations with privacy screens are located on the first floor.
The two large group workrooms each have a Cisco Webex Desk Pro video conferencing system with digital whiteboard function and, in addition, a 32-inch display with HDMI connection and integrated speakers as an external monitor.
- Printing/Copying: Due to a comprehensive change of the printing concept in the FU Libraries, there is currently no printer or copier with integrated payment option available in the Earth Sciences Library. As a temporary alternative, we offer all users the possibility to make printouts directly at the circulation desk upon request. In addition, a self-service machine is available in the rear entrance area of the library.
- WLAN access for your notebook, tablet or smartphone: see "Bibliothek A-Z / WLAN".
- The library has numerous network workstations with so-called "thin clients" for reading and printing e.g. articles and for researching on the net or in Primo
- In addition, we have "normal" Windows computers on which you can work via ZEDAT login.
Lending and loan period extension
- As an FU student, you can borrow books from the "Freihandbereich" or textbooks with your campus card.
- Textbooks can be borrowed for 2 weeks, 4 extensions of 2 weeks each are possible.
- Books from the "Freihandbereich" can be borrowed for 4 weeks, 4 extensions of 4 weeks each are possible.
(Renewals can be made through the library portal Primo or by phone or mail).
Research tools of the FU Berlin
Freie Universität offers a large number of research tools (catalogs, subject databases, search engines). For the beginning we always recommend the library portal Primo, because it covers most of the search queries that come up at the beginning of your studies.