Principles of Watershed Management
The sustainable conservation of natural resources has to be carried out on the following principles:
- An adequate amount of water available in a sustainable manner for future years has to be provided for the population.
- The quality of drinking water has to be maintained at a standard which allows all inhabitants to live in physical and mental well-being.
- The natural resources within the watershed has to be stabilised, protected and kept free from pollution.
- The productivity of resource utilisation has to be increased in an environmentally, economically and also institutionally sustainable manner.
- The economic development within the watershed has to take place in harmony with the environment.
- The local community has to participate in all stages of planning and implementation of development measures
(Förch and Schütt 2004 b; Heathcote 1998; Panda 2003).
'What can be reached by WM' is explained on the following learning page.