Since the Earth summit 1992 WM has been gaining increasing significance (Förch and Schütt 2004 a).
Watershed Management is an approach which plans natural resource management and rural development (= overall goals of watershed management) on the level of watersheds (= planning unit) (Reimold 1998; Heatcote 1998; Förch and Schütt 2004 b). Watershed planning takes a holistic and integrated approach to problem identification and solution. Watershed-based planning attempts to balance socio-economic, political and environmental objectives (Brady 1996, Randolph 2003 quoted in: Butler 2003).
- What is a watershed? is the first question to be answered in this section
Further questions are:
- Why are watersheds a reasonable planning unit?
- What are the principles of Watershed Management?
- What are the overall effects of Watershed Management?
- What are the objectives of Watershed Management?
- What does Watershed Management comprise?
- What are the constitutive features of the approach?
- Which processes influence Watershed Management?
- How has Watershed Management been developed?