Dr. Subham Mukherjee
Working Group Pof. Dr. Schütt
- Name: Subham Mukherjee
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
DAAD-PhD (Physical Geography)
Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
Erasmus Mundus M.Sc. (Ecohydrology)
Christian Albrecht University of Kiel, Germany
M.Sc. (GIS for Catchment dynamics and Management)
School of Geography, University of Leeds, UK
M.Sc. (Remote Sensing & GIS)
University of Burdwan, India
- Employment Experience : ˜15 years in industrial and academic R & D programs
Position & Organization
Nature of Job
Post-Doctoral Scientist for Physical Geography at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
Perception based interdisciplinary quantitative assessment of urban water security of two midsized coastal cities in Germany and Israel
Doctoral Scientists for Physical Geography at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
Interdisciplinary quantitative assessment of urban water security of a deltaic megacity in India
Research Scientist for Physical Geography at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
Scientific Research and preparation of groundworks for PhD
Research Scientist for Wetland Ecohydrology at the Capital Normal University, Beijing, P.R.China
Scientific Research and Teaching Assistantship for Master students
Project Supervisor for Coastal Regulatory Zone (CRZ) Mapping of West Bengal Coastal Zones under Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF), Govt of India, Kolkata, India
Overseeing technical operations of Remote Sensing-GIS laboratory including training of laboratory stuffs and development and implementation of analytical and mapping methods
Assistant Lecturer (contractual) of Remote Sensing at the Christian Albrecht University of Kiel, Germany
Research and teaching Master students
GIS-Remote Sensing Specialist at the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Edinburgh, Scotland
Providing GIS input for restoration and management of various rivers projects
GIS Technician at Infotech (under the
Rural Payment Agency, Department of Environment, Forestry and Agriculture, Govt of England), Reading, England
Research and Development
GIS Specialist at the Leeds City Council, Leeds, England
Research and Development
Ambassador of Geography, Royal Geographic Society, London (Voluntary), England
Promoting Geographic knowledge sharing in Schools within England
- Academic Contributions:
- Mukherjee S.; Sundberg T.; Schütt B. (2021) Issues, Dimensions and Approaches of Assessing Urban Water Security in Developing and Emerging Countries: An Inclusive Perspective. In: Sikdar P.K. (eds) Environmental Management: Issues and Concerns in Developing Countries. Springer, Cham.(doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-62529-0_9)
- Mukherjee S.; Kar S.; Pal S. 2021. Environmental Disaster Management and Risk Reduction. In: Sikdar P.K. (eds) Environmental Management: Issues and Concerns in Developing Countries. Springer, Cham. (doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-62529-0_11)
- Mukherjee, S; Sikdar, P.K.; Pal, S. 2021. Sustainable Governance of Groundwater as Drinking Water in the Post CoViD-19 World: An Urban Water Security Perspective. Legacy, Pathogenic and Emerging Contaminants in the Environment. CRC Press. (in Press)
- Mukherjee, S.; Sikdar, P.K.; Pal, S.; Schütt, B. 2021. Assessment of Environmental Water Security of an Asian Deltaic Megacity and its Peri‐urban Wetland Areas. Sustainability, 13, 2772. (doi: 10.3390/su13052772)
- Acharyya, R.; Pramanick, N.; Mukherjee, S.; Ghosh, S.; Chanda, A.; Pal, I.; ... Mukhopadhyay, A. (2021). Evaluation of catchment hydrology and soil loss in non-perennial river system: a case study of Subarnarekha Basin, India. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment, 1-29. (doi: 10.1007/s40808-021-01231-3)
- Mukherjee, S.; Sundberg, T.; Schütt, B. 2020. Assessment of Water Security in Socially Excluded Areas in Kolkata, India: An Approach Focusing on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Water, 12, 746. (doi:10.3390/w12030746)
- Kar S, Sen E, Mukherjee S. 2020. A geospatial technique-based sitesuitability analysis for construction of water reservoirs in Arsha and Balarampur Blocks,Purulia. World Water Policy. 00:1–36. (doi.org/10.1002/wwp2.12021)
- Mukherjee, S.; Bebermeier, W.; Schütt, B. 2018. An Overview of the Impacts of Land Use Land Cover Changes (1980–2014) on Urban Water Security of Kolkata. Land, 7, 91. (doi: 10.3390/land7030091)
- Mukherjee, S. 2016. Review of the Role of Remote Sensing for Submarine Groundwater Discharge. New Water Policy and Practice Journal. 2:30-50. (doi: 10.18278/nwpp.2.1.4)
- Mukherjee, S. 2016. Influence of Discharge of River Daya in Chilika Lagoon: A Brief Study Using Mohid Simulation Model. Suresh Gyan Vihar University International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2(2)-10-21. (ISSN: 2395‐0196)
- Mukherjee, S. (2021). An Integrated Socio-Eco-Hydrological Framework to Assess and Evaluate Urban Water Security, PhD Thesis. Freie Universität Berlin, Germany.
- Mukherjee, S. (2013). Location analysis of Submarine Groundwater Discharge: A Remote Sensing Approach, MSc Thesis. University of Kiel, Germany.
- Mukherjee, S. (2009). Impact of urbanisation on the river pollution: A Geospatial Approach. MSc thesis. University of Leeds, UK.
- Mukherjee, S. (2006). Spatio-temporal effects of land use and land cover on urban freshwater bodies: a case study in Burdwan City, India. MSc thesis. University of Burdwan, India.
Conference Papers & Presentations (Selected)
- Kar, S. & Mukherjee, S. (2021). An integrated assessment of water security in dry land area for a comprehensive rural development in Purulia, India. Conf 1325: Narratives of water and water security. RGS-IBG Annual International Conference on 01.09. 2021.
- Mukherjee, S. (2021) SDGs, WaSH, and Urban Water Security: Issues and Challenges in India. The first web talk of the DAAD Alumni (India) for Sustainable Development Goals on 26.08.2021.
- Mukherjee, S. (2021) SDGs, WaSH, and Urban Water Security: Issues and Challenges in Post COVID World. The first edition of the online event series organized by the FU Berlin Liaison Offices: “At the crossroads of global research!” on 17.06.2021.
- Mukherjee, S. (2021) Urban Water Security in India: Issues and Challenges in Post COVID World. The First International Conference on Sustainable Development on April 21-22, 2021, in the University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne & La Cité du développement durable, Paris, France.
- Mukherjee, S; Sundberg, T; Sikdar, PK; Schütt, B. (2021) Role of data and statistical analysis for assessment of urban water security in the Global South. Virtual International Conference on statistical Tools and Techniques for Research Data Analysis’ (ICSTRDA -2021) from 21.01.2021 to 22.01.2021. Organized by Central University of Gujarat, India.
- Mukherjee, S. (2020) Urban Water Security in India: Issues and Challenges in Post COVID World. International Webinar on Contemporary Issues in Geography: Challenges and Management (September 10-11, 2020). Organized by Dept. of Geography and IQAC, Bidhannagar College, Kolkata, India.
- Mukherjee, S (2020) Issues and Dimension of Urban water Security: An Inclusive Approach. International Faculty Development Program (June 15-20, 2020)-Recent Trends in Science and Technology (via Webinar). Organized by Academic Staff College, Suresh Gyan Vihar University, Jaipur, India.
- Mukherjee, S; Dasgupta, D; Sundberg, T (2020) Water security on a Gender continuum: An overview. Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) water security workshops (February 22-23, 2020), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Mukherjee, S; Dasgupta, D; Sundberg, T (2019) Water security on a Gender continuum: Solutions. Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) water security workshops (August 12-14, 2019), University of Calcutta, India.
- Mukherjee, S; Dasgupta, D; Sundberg, T (2019) Water security on a Gender continuum: Issues. Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) water security workshops (May 23-24, 2019), University of Kent, UK.
- Mukherjee, S. (2019). Understanding city and its Water Security: Conceptualizing a quantitative assessment framework from an inclusive perspective with an example from Kolkata, India. Presented at the Latin American Institute, Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany.
- Mukherjee, S. (2018) Urban Water Security in Kolkata, India: Dimensions and Challenges. DAAD conference, Cottbus, Germany.
- Mukherjee, S. (2016). Integrated Catchment Decision Support System (ICDSS) for Groundwater Resources Management: An Ecohydrological Approach using GIS. Presented at the International Conference on Sustainable Groundwater Management, Kolkata, India.
- Mukherjee, S. (2013). Location Analysis and Assessment of Submarine Groundwater Discharge: A Geospatial Approach. Poster Presentation at the EGU’s Annual General Conference, Vienna, Austria on 8th April 2013.
- Mukherjee, S. (2013). Application of Geospatial Technology for the delineation and assessment of Coastal Groundwater Discharge. The UNESCO-Ecohydrology consortium at the International Symposium on Ecohydrology, Biotechnology and Engineering, Lodz, Poland.
- Mukherjee, S. (2012). Application of Geospatial Technology for the delineation and assessment of Hyporheic zones. UNESCO-Ecohydrology consortium during the Erasmus Mundus Ecohydrology Summer School, Faro, Portugal.
- Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Post Graduate Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS), UK (Membership number: 921736)
- Prizes & Scholarships:
- Joint FUB-HUJI Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (2021-2023)
- University Alliances for Sustainability Fellowship for Senior Research Mobility (2021)
- DAAD Full Scholarship to study PhD (2017-2020)
- Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) Workshop grant (£30,000) (2019)
- Geo.X Network’s Travel and Research Stay grant (2018)
- Freie Universität Berlin’s Guest Scientist Scholarship (2016)
- Chinese Scholarship Council’s (CSC) Full Research Scholarship for research in China (2014-2016)
- UNESCO-Erasmus Mundus Full Scholarship to study MSc in Eco-Hydrology (2011-2013)
- National Scholarships from Govt. of India for both 10th and 12th Board Examinations, India (1996 & 1998)