Test questions: IWRM tools
1. Computer technology has not significantly improved the basis for decision making in river basin management in many countries. (True or false?)
2. Tools are particularly useful for setting priorities and developing management options in IWRM. (True or false?)
3. A disadvantage of these tools is that they do not promote transparency. (True or false?)
4. What is the difference between model codes and decision support systems (DSSs) in IWRM?
5. What have model codes been developed for? Name at least four.
6. What has become the major issue concerning valid information when using model codes and software in order to obtain the most benefit?
7. Model codes are effective and efficient, because they are just used for one specific geographic area, one specific time period or one specific problem. (True or false?)
8. What four issues do the procedures of model confirmation, verification, calibration and validation ensures?
9. Successful development and use of a model in IWRM depends on four main factors which are they?
10. What is the difference between hydraulic and hydrological models?
11. What is the difference between Water management systems and hydro-economic models?
12. What challenges have to be faced when implementing hydro-economic models? Name at least two.
13. Name at least two different types of models used in IWRM which were not mentioned in the three questions before.
14. IWRM deals with many facets of water management. Decision support systems (DSSs) can support solutions by developing and adding generic tools. Which are such tools? Name at least four.
15. What are the four key requirements when considering sustainability issues in DSSs?
16. With IWRM measures great successes can be achieved but also they can cause costly failures. DSSs offer strategies to overcome various issues and to minor or even avoid different challenges phased by IWRM. Name at least three of these challenges.