Application, Admission and Matriculation
More information can be found on the central pages of the Admissions Office of the Freie Universität Berlin: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/bewerbung/index.html
Prerequisites for admission
(1) The admission requirement for the Master's program is a German or equivalent foreign Bachelor degree in geography or in social, cultural or regional sciences.
(2) Applicants who have not graduated from an educational institution where English is the language of instruction must provide evidence of English language skills at level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Selection Quota and Selection Criteria
(1) 80% of the study places remaining available after considering the preliminary quotas shall be awarded by the selection procedure regulated in these Statutes (university quota). 20% of the study places shall be awarded on the basis of § 15 par. 1 sentence 1 No. 2, BerlHZG. The quota of § 15 par. 1 sentence 3 BerlHZG is 5%.
(2) Selection shall be based on:
- the degree of qualification, which is determined by the examination results of the preceding university degree (§ 15 par. 2 sentence 1 No. 1, BerlHZG),
- a weighting of the subject or subjects studied in the previous degree program, which provides information on the subject-specific motivation and suitability for the master's degree program (§ 15 par. 2 sentence 1 No. 4 BerlHZG), and
- additional qualifications acquired outside of a university degree program (§ 15 par. 2 sentence 1 No. 5 BerlHZG).
(3) In the selection procedure, selection points are awarded for the criteria according to par. 2 No. 1 to No. 3. The maximum number of points that can be awarded is 100.
More information can be found in the Admission Regulations for the Master's Program Geographies of Global Inequalities of the Department of Geosciences of Freie Universität Berlin (for download in the section Further Information)
There are no tuition fees. However, there is a small matriculation fee to be paid which includes a public transportation ticket.