Job advert: PhD position in Basin Evolution and Orogenic Coupling
News from Sep 11, 2020
The Tectonics Section of the Earth-Sciences Department, Freie Universität Berlin seeks to fill a PhD position in the analysis of foreland basins in the Southern and Eastern Alps. The position is funded for three years (salary level 13 TV-L FU, 75% , German federal pay scale) beginning on the 1st of March, 2021. It forms an integral part of the interdisciplinary Priority Program “Mountain-Building Processes in 4-Dimensions (4D-MB)” (http://www.spp-mountainbuilding.de/) and is part of the international AlpArray Consortium to image the deep structure of the Alpine chain.
We seek a promising young scientist to pursue PhD research on the relationship of Tertiary foreland basin evolution in the pro- and retrowedges of the Alps at their transition to the Carpathians and Dinarides during collision and indentation tectonics. The overall goal is to combine a high-resolution, 3D seismic-reflection cube, well data and basin-wide subsidence analyses to track across- and along strike-responses of the basins to the advance and retreat of the Alpine orogenic wedges. Work on the deep structure will be conducted in close collaboration with the other PhD in this project located at the GFZ-Potsdam, as well with members of 4D-MB and the international AlpArray consortium. No formal teaching responsibilities are attached to the position, but assisting undergraduate students with their field work in this project is expected.
- Interpretation of newly acquired passive-source seismic data and existing active-source seismic reflection data from industrial data bases to trace sedimentary deposits and their bounding faults at depth to the surface
- Balancing tectonic cross-sections
- Presenting results at project meetings and at international conferences
- Publishing results in international journals
- Master’s degree (MSc) in Solid Earth Sciences
- Excellent background in geology, preferably with experience in seismic interpretation, backstripping techniques and subsidence analysis.
- Scientific initiative, proficiency in written and spoken English
- Ability to conduct independent field work in mountainous terrain of northern Italy and Austria, driver’s license, willingness to learn spoken German and Italian (if not already able).
Further information about the position, as well as research activities and analytical facilities within the department is available at our website or by contacting Anne Bernhardt (+49-(0)30-838-61558, firstname.lastname@example.org,) or Mark Handy (+49-(0)30-838-70311, email@example.com). The Freie Universität Berlin seeks to increase the proportion of qualified women in academic positions.
Applications by mail or email should include a letter of intent specifying research interests and career goals, a curriculum vitae with at least 2 scientific references from previous institutions attended and copies of certificates of all academic degrees awarded.
Applications should refer to “SPP 4D-MB – Pro-Retrowedge“ and arrive no later than the 9th of November, 2020 and be sent by email (single PDF file not exceeding 10 Mb) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Secretary) or by mail to:
Freie Universität Berlin
Institut für Geologische Wissenschaften
Malteserstr. 74-100, Haus B
D-12249 Berlin (Lankwitz)
We look forward to your application!
Note that in sending electronic documents, applicants consent to the electronic processing and storage of their information. The FU-Berlin cannot guarantee the security of personal data sent electronically.