Dr. Juan Pablo D’Olivo Cordero
- 2019 –current Research associate, Free University Berlin
- 2012 – 2019 Research associate, The University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia.
- 2004- 2005 Research assistant, Universidad Autónoma de Baja California, México
- 2008 – 2014 Ph.D. Earth Sciences, Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University. Advisors: Prof. Malcolm T. McCulloch and Prof. Steve Eggins
- 2005 – 2008 M.Sc. Coastal Oceanography, Universidad Autónoma de Baja California, México. Advisor: Prof. José D. Carriquiry
- 2000 – 2005 B.Sc. in Oceanology, Universidad Autónoma de Baja California, México.
- 2019 Invited lecture – Ocean Acidification and Coral Paleoceanography, Seoul National University, South Korea
- 2019 Invited lecture – BRD203 - Carbon and climate – Murdoch University, Australia
- 2019 Invited lecture - SCIE5505 Global Change and the Marine Environment: ocean acidification and coral reefs - University of Western Australia, Australia
- 2014 and 2105 Invited lecture and laboratory demonstrations ANZIC IODP masterclass – University of Western Australia, Australia
- 2005 – Teaching assistant – Differential Equations – Universidad Autonoma de Baja California, Mexico
- 2004 – Teaching assistant – Calculus – Universidad Autonoma de Baja California, Mexico
Supervision graduate students
- (under evaluation)- Clarke, Harry - Ph.D. co-supervisor “Coral core trace element records from the NW shelf of Australia”
- 2017 - Georgiou, Lucy - Ph.D. co-supervisor “Constraining coral sensitivity to climate and environmental change: an integrated and experimental approach”
- 2017 - Gregory, Russell - Masters co-supervisor “Effects of dredging on the coral record, Barrow Island”
- 2016 - Ellwood, George - Masters co-supervisor “Boron isotopes reconstruction of seasonal coral calcifying fluid pH variability in the northern Great Barrier Reef: assessing the influence of ocean acidification”
My research has focused on quantifying the effects of anthropogenic stressors, like temperature rise and ocean acidification, on tropical reef forming corals using geochemical and physiological indicators encoded in the skeleton of long-lived massive corals. This approach allows models of coral calcification to be improved, reduces the uncertainty in the interpretation coral geochemical proxies of past environmental change, such as past thermal stress, and provides a firmer numerical basis for predictions of how corals will be impacted by warming, ocean acidification and other anthropogenic stressors going forward. Highlights of my research into the use of these coral proxies include demonstrating the importance of internal pH up-regulation for coral calcification and its sensitivity to temperature variations, particularly during periods of severe stress. Other relevant projects include the development of a novel coral multiproxy paleothermometer, the application of trace elements as indicators of bleaching events and the use of stress band to detect changes in the sensitivity of corals to thermal stress.
Peer review articles (*Denotes student contribution)
- Clarke H*, D’Olivo JP, Conde-Frias M, Evans RD, McCulloch M (2019) Coral records of thermal acclimatisation and stress impacts during recent marine heat wave events on the northwest shelf of Australia, Paleoceanography and Paleoclimate, 34.
- D’Olivo JP, Ellwood G*, DeCarlo T, McCulloch MT (2019) Deconvolving the long-term impacts of ocean acidification and warming on coral biomineralization, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 526, 115785
- D’Olivo JP, Georgiou L*, Falter J, Rankenburg K, Irigoien X, Voolstra CF, Roder X, McCulloch M (2019) Long-term impacts of a thermal stress event on the growth and skeletal geochemistry of Porites corals in the Red Sea, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20(6), 2936-2954
- Chen X, McCulloch M, D’Olivo JP, Wei G (2019) Anthropogenic ocean warming and acidification recorded by Sr/Ca, Li/Mg, δ11B and B/Ca in Porites coral from the Kimberley region of northwestern Australia, Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 528, 50-59
- DeCarlo TM, Alaguarda D, Harrison H, Gajdzik L, Rodolfo-Metalpa R, D’Olivo JP, Liu G, McCulloch MT (2019) Acclimatization of massive reef-building corals to consecutive heatwaves, Royal Society Proceedings B, 286 (1898), 20190235
- Zinke J, D'Olivo JP, Gey JC, McCulloch MT, Bruggemann JH, Lough JM, Guillaume MMM (2019) Multi-trace element sea surface temperature coral reconstruction for the southern Mozambique Channel reveals teleconnections with the tropical Atlantic, Biogeosciences, 16 (3), 695-712
- Sadekov A, Lloyd N, Misra S, Trotter J, D'Olivo JP, McCulloch M (2019) Accurate microscale measurements of boron isotopes in calcium carbonates using Laser Ablation multi-collector-ICPMS, Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, 34 (3), 550-560
- D’Olivo JP, Sinclair D, Rankeburg K, McCulloch MT (2018) A universal multi-trace element calibration for reconstructing sea surface temperatures from long-lived Porites corals: Removing ‘vital-effects’, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 239, 15, 109-135, doi:10.1016/j.gca.2018.07.035.
- DeCarlo TM, D’Olivo JP, Foster T, Holcomb M, Becker T, McCulloch MT (2017) Coral calcifying fluid aragonite saturation states derived from Raman spectroscopy TM Biogeosciences 14 (22), 5253.
- McCulloch MT, D’Olivo JP, Falter J, Holcomb M, Trotter J (2017) Coral calcification in a changing World: the interactive dynamics of pH and dissolved inorganic carbon up-regulation. Nature Communications, doi:10.1038/ncomms15686.
- D’Olivo JP, McCulloch MT (2017) Response of coral calcification and calcifying fluid composition to thermally induced bleaching stress, Scientific Reports, 7, 2207, doi:10.1038/s41598-017-02306-x.
- Clarke H*, D’Olivo JP, Falter J, Zinke Z, Lowe R, McCulloch M (2017) Differential response of corals to regional mass-warming events as evident from skeletal Sr/Ca and Mg/Ca ratios. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems doi:10.1002/2016GC006788.
- D’Olivo JP, McCulloch MT, Eggins SM, Trotter J (2015) Coral records of reef-water pH across the central Great Barrier Reef, Australia: assessing the influence of river runoff on inshore reefs. Biogeosciences, 11:11443-11479.
- D’Olivo JP, McCulloch MT, Judd K (2013)Long-term records of coral calcification across the central Great Barrier Reef: assessing the impacts of river runoff and climate change. Coral Reefs, 32 (4), 999-1012 doi:10.1007/s00338-013-1071-8.
- McCulloch MT, D’Olivo JP, Falter J, Georgiou L*, Holcomb M, Montagna P, Trotter J (2018) Boron Isotopic Systematics in Scleractinian Corals and the Role of pH Up-regulation, Springer International Publishing, ISBN: 978-3-319-64664-0
Publications under review:
- Cornwall CE, Comeau S, De Carlo TM, Kornder NA, Perry C, Pratchett MS, Anderson K, Browne N, Carpenter R, Diaz-Pulido G, D’Olivo JP, Doo S, Figueiredo J, Fortunato S, Kennedy E, Lantz C, McCulloch MT, Miller D, Gonzalez Rivero M, Schoepf V, Smithers SG, Lowe R (under review) Global declines in coral reef carbonate production under ocean acidification and warming, under review in Nature.
- Schoepf V, D’Olivo JP, Rigal, C, Jung EM, McCulloch, M (under review) Heat stress differentially impacts key calcification mechanisms in reef-building corals, under review in Global Change Biology.
Conference and workshop presentations
- 2016 Trace elements as proxies of sea surface temperature in Porites corals: a multiproxy “universal” calibration, Goldschmidt 2016, Yokohama, Japan
- 2016 Thermal stress and seasonal variability in the coral calcifying fluid: A boron isotopes perspective, UTokyo AORI international workshop: Recent Advances in Paleoclimate Studies, Tokyo, Japan
- 2016 Coral calcification under thermal stress and ocean acidification, 4th International Symposium on the Ocean in a High-CO2 World, Hobart, Australia
- 2015 The Impact of Thermal Stress Events on Coral Skeletal δ11B and Trace Elements, Goldschmidt 2015, Czech Republic
- 2013 Variations in seawater pH from δ11B records of corals from the central GBR, 12th Australasian environmental isotope conference, Australia
- 2010 Application of the boron isotope (δ11B) seawater pH proxy to the central Great Barrier Reef, Coral reefs in a changing environment, Australia
- 2010 Coral calcification in the central Great Barrier Reef: assessing the combined impacts of terrestrial runoff, global warming and ocean acidification, Australian Earth Science Convention, Australia
- 2010 Terrestrial influence on inshore coral reefs of the Great Barrier Reef: boron isotopic systematics and calcification rates, 10th International Conference on Paleoceanography, USA
- 2007 LIA and decadal climate expression in the south-western tropical Pacific: a 625 years geochemical record from a Fiji Diploastrea heliopora coral, 9th International Conference on Paleoceanography, China