Technical Employee Laboratory / Engineer (m/f/d)
with 50% part-time employment limited for the duration of parental leave (Oct 31,2024) Pay Group 10 TV-L FU Identifier: Planetologie_TechMi Labor_Ingenieur_in
Application deadline: Aug 28, 2023
The department of Planetary Sciences and Remote Sensing at the Institute of Geological Sciences of Freie Universität Berlin invites applications for a position as Technical Staff Laboratory/Engineer. Our department participates in various ESA and NASA space missions. Some projects are funded by the national space program through the space management of DLR. Other projects are funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the European Research Council (ERC). The department maintains two laboratories with extensive instrumentation.
As a technical employee laboratory/engineer you will support the research group in the area of scientific laboratory work (e.g. simulation of space probe data, fabrication of analog materials for cosmic dust).
In detail, the tasks include:
- Development and support (maintenance) of scientific experimental setups and measurement apparatus. The work requires knowledge of vacuum technology, electrical engineering, high voltage technology and the use of lasers. It explicitly includes the further development of the equipment as well as the independent planning and execution of series of experiments within the framework of scientific research projects, also in English.
- Main responsibility for ensuring occupational safety in the Planetology laboratories.
- Inventory of chemicals and maintenance of the chemical and hazardous material database.
- Preparation of laboratory samples, i.e. preparation and processing of chemical and mineralogical samples for experimental series and for analysis in the context of research projects.
- The study of partly English-language literature and the cooperation with international scientific staff are an important part of the job and require a basic understanding of scientific work as well as very good english skills.
Requirements for employment:
- Completed scientific degree (Dipl. Ing or Bachelor) of an engineering course or equivalent skills and experience.
- Experience in handling chemicals, vacuum technology, laboratory technology and instrumental analysis.
2 years (with degree), minimum 5 years without degree.
- Very good english skills
- Experience in the development of scientific experimental setups.
For further information, please contact Dr. Jon Hillier.
Applications should be submitted electronically by e-mail to Prof. Dr. Frank Postberg, stating the identifier in PDF format (preferably as one document): email@example.com or by mail to
Freie Universität Berlin
Institut für Geologische Wissenschaften
FR Planetologie und Fernerkundung
Herrn Prof. Dr. Frank Postberg
Haus D, 12249 Berlin (Lankwitz)
By submitting an online application, you as an applicant agree that your data may be electronically processed and stored. We would like to point out that Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee the security of transmitted personal data if your application is sent electronically without protection.