Dr. Stefanie Müller
- Since February 2010 Post-Doc at FU Berlin, Geological Sciences, Palaeontology, DFG-project MU 3181/1-1 "Qualitative reconstructions of late Quaternary vegetation, temperature and atmospheric precipitation variability in eastern Siberia: Evaluation of ecosystem stabilty /instability during episodes of rapid climate change" (QuaSib)
- June 2009 - February 2010 Scholoarship of the FU Berlin (Innovationsfond, applicant Prof. F. Riedel, "Reconstruction of Late Quaternary vegetation history and climate changes in NE Siberia by means of qualitative and quantitative methods based on pollen data")
- July 2009 Defense of PhD thesis ("Late Quaternary environmental changes in Yakutia (NE Siberia, Russia) - inferred from pollen and testate amoebae records")
- June 2006 - June 2009 PhD student at FU Berlin, Geological Science, Palaeontology (supervisor PD Dr. P.E. Tarasov); financed within the DFG funded project “Interstadial and Interglacial periods of the Late Quaternary environmental history of the Arctic reconstructed from bioindicators in permafrost sequences of NE-Siberia” (DFG RI 809/17-1,2)
- February - April 2006 Employment as lab assistant in AWI Potsdam
- April - May 2005 Research assistant at FU Berlin, Geological Sciences, Palaeontology
- September 2004 - February 2005 Practical course at Lomonossov State University Moscow, Soil science faculty; financed by a DAAD scholarship within the “Go East” program (Nr. PKZ D/04/33137, title 332400140 )
- 2004 Diploma-Thesis in Palynology: “Spätpleistozäne und frühholozäne Vegetationsentwicklung im Werchojansker Gebirge (Zentral Jakutien) - Eine Rekonstruktion anhand von Pollendaten“
- May 2002 - August 2004 (intermitted) Employment as a student worker at AWI Potsdam
- September 1998 - August 2004 Study of Biology at University Potsdam with focus on Ecology and Nature conservation
- December 1978 Born in Potsdam-Babelsberg
- WS 2013/14 lecture (1 SWS): "Introduction to Palynology and Archaeobotany" (together with Prof. P.E. Tarasov and MSc. C. Müller)
- WS 2012/13 lecture (2 SWS): "Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology" (together with Prof. P.E. Tarasov)
- SS 2011 lecture (3 SWS): "Theoretische und praktische Grundlagen zur Palynologie" (together with PD Dr. P.E. Tarasov)
- WS 2006/07, 2007/2008, 2008/2009, 2009/2010 lecture: “Phytolithes as bioindicators in sediments” (within lecture "Theoretical Introduction to Palaeobotany" and "Practical Training in Palaeobotany" by PD Dr. P.E. Tarasov)
- SS 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 assistant in practical courses for palynology (lecture "Introduction to Palynology" by PD Dr. P.E. Tarasov)
- January 2010 lecture at FU Berlin (invited): "Wie modern sind die sibirischen Wälder? Ergebnisse paläobotanischer Untersuchungen im kältesten Gebiet Sibiriens"
- DFG-project MU 3181/1-1 "Qualitative reconstructions of late Quaternary vegetation, temperature and atmospheric precipitation variability in eastern Siberia: Evaluation of ecosystem stabilty /instability during episodes of rapid climate change" (QuaSib) at FU Berlin
- Quaternary palaeovegetation and palaeoclimatic changes in Eurasia, Kasachstan, and Japan using bioindicators, like pollen, non-pollen-palynomorphs, and testate amoebae
- Geobotany and Biogeography
- Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology; The Holocene; Quaternary International
- Quaternary Science Reviews
- 2013: 2 weeks (July) Lake Baikal area (Irkutsk, Shimki, Monde), Russia in cooperation with RAS Irkutsk (Institute of Geochemistry)
- 2012: October, UWITEC (piston corer system) training course at Mondsee with colleagues from Britain and Russia (BHAP project)
- 2011: 2 weeks (August) Almaty, Talgar, Kazakhstan in cooperation with University of Arizona (Laboratory of tree-ring research), USA
- 2011: 2 weeks (July) Hokkaido, Rebun Island, Japan in cooperation with University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
- 2010: 5 weeks (August-September) Lake Baikal area (Irkutsk, Tanchoi, Lake Kotokel), Russia in cooperation with RAS Irkutsk (Institute of Geochemistry) and financed via the Centre for International Cooperation at FU Berlin)
- 2009: 3 weeks (August) Lake Baikal area (Irkutsk, Vydrno, Arschan), Russia in cooperation with RAS Irkutsk (Institute of Geochemistry)
- 2007: 8 weeks (July-September) Yakutia/Sakha (Anabar Lowlands and Laptev Sea, Yakutsk, Viliusk, Nerjungri), Russia in cooperation with AWI Potsdam and Yakutsk State University (Department of Ecology)
- T. Kleinen, E. Bezrukova, V. Brovkin, H. Fischer, S. Hildebrandt, S. Müller, M. Prange, R. Rachmayani, J. Schmitt, R. Schneider, M. Schulz, P. Tarasov. Comparison of climate and carbon cycle dynamics during late Quaternary interglacials (COIN). In: Integrated analysis of interglacial climate dynamics (INTERDYNAMIC), Ed. Schulz, M., Paul, A., Springer, Germany, pp. 7-12.
- S. Müller, M. Schmidt, A. Kossler, C. Leipe, T. Irino, M. Yamamoto, H. Yonenobu, T. Goslar, H. Kato, M. Wagner, A.W. Weber, P.E. Tarasov. Palaeobotanical records from Rebun Island and their potential for improving the chronological control and understanding human-environment interactions in the Hokkaido Region, Japan. The Holocene 26(10), 1646-1660.
- C. Abe, C. Leipe, P.E. Tarasov, S. Müller, M. Wagner. spatio-temporal distribution of hunter-gatherer archaeological sites in the Hokkaido Region (northern Japan): an overview. The Holocene 26(10), 1627-1645.
- C. Leipe, T. Nakagawa, K. Gotanda, S. Müller, P.E. Tarasov. Late Quaternary vegetation and climate dynamics at the northern limit of the East Asian summer monsson and its regional and global-scale controls. Quaternary Science Reviews 116, 57-71.
- S. Hildebrandt, S. Müller, I.A. Kalugin, A.V. Dar'in, M. Wagner, D.Y. Rogozin, P.E. Tarasov. Tracing the North Atlantic decadal-scale climate variability in a late Holocene pollen record from southern Siberia. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 426, 75-84.
- T. Kleinen, S. Hildebrandt, M. Prange, R. Rachmayani, S., Müller, E. Bezrukova, V. Brovkin, P. Tarasov. The climate and vegetation of Marine Isotope Stage 11 - model results and proxy-based reconstructions at global and regional scale. Quaternary International 348, 247-265.
- M. Bergemann, S. Müller. Last Interglacial vegetation in northern Asia: Model simulations and comparison with pollen-based reconstructions. Quaternary International 348, 236-246.
- S. Müller, P.E. Tarasov, P. Hoelzmann, E.V. Bezrukova, A. Kossler, S.K. Krivonogov. Stable vegetation and environmental conditions during the Last Glacial Maximum: New results from Lake Kotokel (Lake Baikal region, southern Siberia, Russia). Quaternary International 348, 12-24.
- R. Zibulski, U. Herzschuh, L.A. Pestryakova, J. Wolter, S. Müller, S. Wetterich, L. Schirrmeister, F. Tiang. River flooding as a driver of polygon dynamics: modern vegetation data and millenial peat record from the Anabar River lowlands (Arctic Siberia). Biogeoscience 10, 5703-5728.
- E.V. Bezrukova, S. Hildebrandt, P.P. Letunova, E.V. Ivanov, L.A. Orlova, S. Müller, P.E. Tarasov. Vegetation dynamics around Lake Baikal since the middle Holocene reconstructed from the pollen and botanical composition analyses of peat sediments: Implications for paleoclimatic and archeological research. Quaternary International 190-191, 35-45.
- P.E. Tarasov, S. Müller, M. Zech, D. Andreeva, B. Diekmann, C. Leipe. Last glacial vegetation reconstructions in the extreme-continental eastern Asia: Potentials of pollen and n-alkane biomarker analyses. Quaternary International 290-291, 253-263.
- Oral presentation (invited) at DAI workshop "Palaeoenvironment and the development of early societies" in Sanliurfa, Turkey (Environmental and human dynamics during the Early Holocene in NE China)
- Poster presentation at " International Palaeolimnology Symposium 2012" in Glasgow, Scotland (Potentials of pollen and n-alkane biomarker analyses for last glacial vegetation reconstruction in north-eastern Siberia)
- Poster presentation at "XVIII INQUA-Congress" in Bern, Switzerland (Pollen-based reconstruction of vegetation and environments in the Verkhoyansk Mountains region (Siberia, Russia) during the past 50 ka)
- Poster presentation at "European Geoscience Union, General Assembly 2011" in Vienna, Austria (Late Quaternary history of cold-deciduous (larch) forest in eastern Siberia based on pollen data)
- S. Müller, P.E. Tarasov, A.A. Andreev, T. Tütken, S. Gartz, B. Diekmann. Late Quaternary vegetation and environments in the Verkhoyansk Mountains region (NE Asia) reconstructed from a 50-kyr fossil pollen record from Lake Billyakh. Quaternary Science Reviews 29, 2071-2086.
- Oral presentation at "8th European Palaeobotany-Palynology Conference" in Budapest, Hungary (50-kyr vegetation history of NE Asia based on fossil pollen data - results from late Quaternary lake records in the western Verkhoyansk Mountains region)
- M. Zech, A.A. Andreev, R. Zech, S. Müller, U. Hambach, M. Frechen, W. Zech. Quaternary vegetation changes derived from a loess-like permafrost palaeosol sequence in northeast Siberia using alkane biomarker and pollen analyses. Boreas 39, 540-550.
- Poster presentation at "European Geoscience Union, General Assembly 2010" in Vienna, Austria (50-kyr vegetation history in the western Verkhoyansk Mountains region (NE Asia) reconstructed from fossil pollen data)
- K. Werner, P.E. Tarasov, A.A. Andreev, S. Müller, F. Kienast, M. Zech, W. Zech, B. Diekmann: A 12.5-kyr history of vegetation dynamics and mire development with evidence of Younger Dryas larch presence in the Verkhoyansk Mountains, East Siberia, Russia. Boreas 39(1), 56-68.
- P. Tarasov, S. Müller, A. Andreev, K. Werner, B. Diekmann. Younger Dryas Larix in eastern Siberia: A migrant or survivor? PAGES news 17,122-123.
- A.A. Bobrov, S. Müller, N.A. Tschischikova, L. Schirrmeister, A.A. Andreev: Testate amoebae in Late Quaternary sediments from Cape Mamontov Klyk (Yakutia). Ecology 4, 1-11. (in Russian)
- S. Müller, A.A. Bobrov, L. Schirrmeister, A.A. Andreev, P.E. Tarasov: Testate amoebae record from the Laptev Sea coast and its implication for the reconstruction of Late Pleistocene and Holocene environments in the Arctic Siberia. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 271, 301-315.
- S. Müller, P.E. Tarasov, B. Diekmann, A.A. Andreev: Late Glacial to Holocene environments in the present-day coldest region of the Northern Hemisphere inferred from a pollen record of Lake Billyakh, Verkhoyansk Mts, NE Siberia. Climate of the Past 5, 73-84.
- Poster presentation at the "European Geoscience Union, General Assembly 2009" in Vienna, Austria (The Holocene environmental history of the Verkhoyansk Mountains region (northeastern Siberia, Russia) reconstructed from high-resolution pollen data)
- Oral presentation at the "12th International Palynological Congress & 8th International organisation of Palaeobotany Conference" in Bonn, Germany (Reconstruction of the Holocene environmental history of the Verkhoyansk Region (northeastern Siberia, Russia) inferred from high-resolution pollen studies)
- Tarasov, P., Williams, J.W., Andreev, A., Nakagawa, T., Bezrukova, E., Herzschuh, U., Igarashi, Y., Müller, S., Werner, K., Zheng, Z.: Satellite- and pollen-based quantitative woody cover reconstructions for northern Asia: verification and application to late-Quaternary pollen data. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 264: 284-298. /Note/: this paper was announced by the Nature Geoscience as "Research highlight of the month". http://www.nature.com/ngeo/reshigh/2007/1107/full/ngeo.2007.60.html.
- Poster presentation at the "Open Scientific Meeting of the European Pollen Database" in Aix-en-Provence, France (New insights into the palaeoenvironmental conditions of Northern Eurasia during the Holocene and Late Pleistocene period - results of pollen and testate amoebae analyses)
- Poster presentation at the "XXVII INQUA Congress" in Cairns, Australia (New study on the Late Pleistocene testate amoebae fauna from the Laptev Sea coast, Arctic Siberia, Russia)
- Poster presentation at the “International Symposium on Testate Amoebae” in Antwerp, Belgium (Testate amoebae as palaeoenvironmental indicators in quaternary sediments from Cape Mamontovy Klyk, Laptev Sea, Russia)
- Poster presentation and talk at the “2. International Non-Pollen-Palynomorphs-workshop” in Innsbruck (Testate amoebae as palaeoenvironmental indicators in quaternary sediments from Cape Mamontovy Klyk, Laptev Sea, Russia; NPP’s from Samoylov Island, Lena Delta, Russia)
- Poster presentation at the “22. International Polar conference” in Jena, Germany (Late Pleistocene and Early Holocene vegetation and climate history in the Verkhoyansk Mountains (Yakutia, Russia) derived from pollen records)
- Poster presentation at the "European Geoscience Union, General Assembly 2004” in Nice, France (Late Pleistocene and Holocene environmental changes in the Verkhoyansk Mountains - A pollen based reconstruction)