Information for new students
The library is located in "Haus O" and can be reached via the entrance in "Haus G".
Opening hours of the Earth Sciences Library
- Monday to Thursday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Friday the library is closed
Important at the start
- Our librarian Ms Geiges-Erzgräber has created a short introduction to the Earth Sciences Library and presented it to the students on 08 and 11 October 2021. Here, everything important for the start is explained again in summary. The PDF can be viewed again here (only in german).
- The two zones "6" and "7" are suitable for group work. The two zones represent the two group work rooms, designed for a maximum of 4 people per room at the same time. These are booked directly in 2-hour periods.
- Your campus card is also your library card and your key for the lockers in front of the library.
- Jackets and bags can be taken into the library. Alternatively, you can use the lockers in front of the library free of charge (via Campuscard or PIN code).
- Drinking is allowed in the library.
- You can find everything you need to know about the library on our homepage under the menu item "Library A-Z".
- Map of the library on Google Maps.
- GETTING STARTED: The new brochure on entering university.
- Introduction to the Campus Management online system
Learning and working
- For concentrated work in teams, two group workrooms are available in the Geosciences Library on the 1st floor. In addition, there is a small workroom for one person (zone 8) and a soundproof work cabin for a maximum of 4 people on the ground floor of the library.
- WLAN access for your notebook, tablet or smartphone: see "Library A-Z / WLAN".
- The library has numerous workstations with so-called "thin clients" for reading and printing e.g. articles and for researching on the net or in PRIMO.
- In addition, we have "normal" Windows computers that can be used via ZEDAT login.
- Everything about printing, copying and scanning: see "Library A-Z".
Lending and loan period extension
- As an FU student, you can borrow books from the freely accessible area or textbooks with your Campuscard.
- You can borrow textbooks for 2 weeks, 4 extensions of 2 weeks each are possible.
- Books from the freely accessible area can be borrowed for 4 weeks, 4 extensions of 4 weeks each are possible.
(Extensions can be made via the library portal PRIMO or by telephone).
Research tools of the FU Berlin
The Freie Universität offers a large number of research tools (catalogues, subject databases, search engines). For the beginning, we always recommend the library portal PRIMO, as it covers most of the search queries that arise at the beginning of your studies.