Information for new students
The library is located in "House O" and can be reached via the entrance in "House G".
Opening hours of the Earth Sciences Library
From 07/24/2023 to 10/13/2023:
Monday through Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. / Friday: Closed.
From 10/16/2023 the new opening hours will be:
Monday to Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. / Friday: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Important at the start
- Beginning October 16, tours of the library and card collection will be held throughout the first month of the winter semester on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:00 p.m. The tours are offered without prior registration.
- Your campus card is also your library card and your key for the lockers in front of the library.
- Jackets and bags can be taken into the library. Alternatively, you can use the lockers in front of the library free of charge (via Campuscard or PIN code).
- Drinking is allowed in the library.
- The coffee and tea counter in front of the service desk offers snacks and tea throughout the day, and coffee is available starting at about 2 pm. The service is privately funded by the library staff, and the FSI Geography provides the coffee. We ask you to contribute a donation of €0.70 for each cup of tea or coffee to keep the offer going. Thank you for your support!
- You can find everything you need to know about the library on our homepage under the menu item "Library A-Z".
- Map of the library on Google Maps.
- GETTING STARTED: The new brochure on entering university.
- Introduction to the Campus Management online system
Learning and working
- The two large and two smaller group work rooms on the 1st floor are ideal for group work in the library. In addition, there is a soundproofed work cabin for 4 people on the first floor. Three individual workstations with privacy screens are located on the first floor.
- The two large group workrooms each have a Cisco Webex Desk Pro video conferencing system with digital whiteboard capability and additionally a 32-inch display with HDMI connection and integrated speakers as external monitor
- Print/Copy: Due to a comprehensive change of the printing concept in the FU Libraries, there is currently no printer or copier with integrated payment option available in the Earth Sciences Library. As a temporary alternative, we offer all users the possibility to make printouts directly at the service desk upon request. In addition, a self-service machine is available on the library ground floor.
- WLAN access for your notebook, tablet or smartphone: see "Library A-Z / WLAN".
- The library has numerous workstations with so-called "thin clients" for reading and printing e.g. articles and for researching on the net or in PRIMO.
- In addition, we have Windows computers with an extended range of software (e.g. QGIS) on which work can be done via ZEDAT login.
- Everything about printing, copying and scanning: see "Library A-Z".
Lending and loan period extension
- As an FU student, you can borrow books from the freely accessible area or textbooks with your Campuscard.
- You can borrow textbooks for 2 weeks, 4 extensions of 2 weeks each are possible.
- Books from the freely accessible area can be borrowed for 4 weeks, 4 extensions of 4 weeks each are possible.
(Extensions can be made via the library portal PRIMO or by telephone).
Research tools of the FU Berlin
The Freie Universität offers a large number of research tools (catalogues, subject databases, search engines). For the beginning, we always recommend the library portal PRIMO, as it covers most of the search queries that arise at the beginning of your studies.