Standard US Geological Survey (USGS) patterns for geological mapping (Univ. of Otago)
Instructions for using USGS AI Pack
This pack has been derived from:
There are a couple of different ways to use this pack:
Approach 1: Installing the swatches and using the reference.
- Open a new document in illustrator and bring up the swatches panel (Window>Swatches).
- Click on the small icon in the bottom left to choose swatches and go to Other Library.
This should put you in the folder that contains a folder of swatches (or the swatches folder itself)
- Copy and Paste the “USGS_Swatches” folder you downloaded to the Swatches folder.
- Now when you click on the small icon in the bottom left of the Swatches Panel you will see USGS_Swatches in the list.
- Open up one of the Swatch sets. If you hover over the individual Swatches you will notice a number is displayed.
- Refer to the USGS_Swatches_reference.pdf to see which unit this refers to, or simply fill an object on the screen to view it. If you are using AllUSGS swatch refer to FGDCgeostdTM11A2_PattCh_poster.pdf
Approach 2: Opening the USGS pattern pages directly in illustrator
- In the folder called “USGS_pattern_pages” are four ai files. Open any one of these in illustrator.
- Select the pattern you want to use. Copy and paste this into your document (put it on the side of the page.)
- Use the eyedropper tool to apply this pattern to a shape. I.e select the shape, select the eyedropper then select the pattern.