Biomass for energy can include a wide range of materials.
There are five basic categories of material:
- virgin wood, from forestry, arboricultural activities or from wood processing
- energy crops: high yield crops grown specifically for energy applications
- agricultural residues: residues from agriculture harvesting or processing
- food waste, from food and drink manufacture, preparation and processing, and post-consumer waste
- industrial waste and co-products from manufacturing and industrial processes.