The main target of the workshop was the establishment of a Water Resource User Association in the Upper Mefou Sub-catchment.
The vision of the participants of the working group on WRUA-development was: The management of catchment water resources for sustainable development
Within the workshop, a preliminary concept of a WRUA, a procedure to create a WRUA in the Upper Mefou Sub-catchment and a organization structure was developed by international experts and locals.
Mandates and activities
- Soil and water conservatinon
- Promotion of sustainable use of the catchment's resources
- training and capacity building
- conflict management
- Intermediary between various stakeholders
- organization of legal abstraction of water
- whistle blower on illegal activities within the catchment
- discussion forum
- Membership open to all stakeholders (private households, institutions such as schools, hospitals, churches, commercial and industrial)
- all registered members form the General Assembly (GA)
- elected representatives in the Management Committee (MC), a male, a female and a youngster from each village
- an elected Executive Committee (EC) for the daily management
More details and ideas on the proposed WRUA in the Upper Mefou Sub-catchment can be found in the »booklet written during the workshop.