The Atmospheric Dynamics working group addresses the following research issues:
- Climatology und variability of the stratosphere and mesosphere
- Chemistry-Climate-Interactions in the stratosphere and mesosphere
- Future development of the stratospheric ozone layer
- Effects of ozone changes on climate
- Influence of the 11-year solar variability on climate
- Modeling the climate of the past
- The tropical TTL (Tropopause Transition Layer)
- Validation of Chemistry-Climate-Models
- Valdiation of satellite measurements
- Meteorological support for field measurements
For that purpose we use
- The ECHAM5-MESSy Climate model with interactive Chemistry (since 2005)
- The Freie Universität Berlin Climate Middle Atmosphere Model with interactive Chemistry (FUB-CMAM-CHEM) (until 2003)
- The Freie Universität Berlin Climate Middle Atmosphere Model (FUB-CMAM) (until 2003)
- global observational data sets, e.g.
- FUB Stratosphere analyses
- NCEP/NCAR Reanalyses
||Role Of the MIddle atmosphere in Climate: Quantification of Uncertainties of Solar Induced Climate variability
||Stratospheric and upper tropospheric processes for better climate predictions
||Sea-Ice and Stratospheric Ozone-Links and Impact in the Arctic and Antarctic
||Stratospheric Change and its Role for Climate Prediction
||Helmholtz Alliance 'Planetary Evolution and Life'
||Project on Solar Effects on Chemsitry and Climate Including Ocean Interactions
||The Influence of SOLar Variability On Climate)
||Stratosphere-Climate Links With Emphasis On The UTLS
||(Subcontract with the University of Heidelberg) Validation of SCIAMACHY data products by balloon-borne measurements. Meterological support by trajectory calculations, based on ECMWF data.
||Creation and validation of data products from ENVISAT-measurements, and their usage for the investigation of the upper troposphere and stratosphere.
||Model studies to investigate the influence of solar variability on the atmosphere
||Investigation of the impact of the increase in greenhouse gases on climate (ozone layer, temperature trends ...)
||Solar Influences on Climate and the Environment